Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seeing Is Belize - ing


As I disembark the shuttle boat dispatched from the cruise ship I am met by the by now familiar and requisite overpriced tourist crap. As I stand in line mine eye spies an exception. Apparently Belize is a great place to go for cheap pharmaceuticals, sans doctors note.

Pasted on the window is a list of discount drugs that would make Honest Ed blush. Opiates, anti depressants and aphrodisiacs are all on offer. I could live here like Michael Jackson on a budget. Just buy me a drool bib and I'd be set up.

Fortunately, prescription drugs have never been my thing, so I proceed on to my excursion. The itinerary consists of a jungle and cave tour, a four wheel drive expedition, and a riverboat ride.

I must admit that the word cave tour conjurs up a twinge of regret, as I recall my camera batteries dying as I entered the unforgettable caves at Halong Bay, Vietnam.

As our four wheel drive bus snakes its way through Belize City, I can see that this place is still real, not yet ruined by corporate tourism. I lament that I do not have more time here, but such is the nature of traveling by cruise ship.

My cave tour is fine, but these caves do not remotely compare with Halong Bay. I am also informed that Belize has other caves that are far more spectacular, so if you are going to Belize do some research first.

Nevertheless, the cave tour is wonderful, and it is only one leg of my excursion. Next we go on a four wheel drive jaunt through the jungle, followed by a speedboat ride down the river that would make Mr. Kurtz jealous.

Indeed, seeing is Belize - ing and Belize is a place I would love to return to before it gets ruined by people like me.

More pictures of Belize can be found here.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com