Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'm Telling My Mom!

Interior of the Eaton Centre showing one of Mi...Image via Wikipedia
One of the requests that was made of me prior to embarking on this trip was that I bring a nice suit. The request was made at the behest of my Mom and Stepfather, so that we could meet the dress code required to have dinner in the formal dining room on the cruise.

A perfectly reasonable request, especially considering I am not paying for the pleasure of the journey. And in full disclosure, I am not even paying for the suit. And yes, I am very blessed.

Besides, I should probably own a nice conservative suit. I am getting to that age where funerals are becoming more common. Personally I'd like to have an open casket for myself, so a suit might come in handy. Just make sure you pluck my ear hair first.

As I told The Siren my story she asked "where are you going, Moore's?." Nah, I'm going to International Clothiers.

So a few days prior to the trip, I head out to the Eaton Centre, in search of International Clothiers, a local chain known for cheap suits that look good once or twice. As I head out to the subway I lament a lost opportunity.

Prior to leaving for Asia, I ran into a bartender who had spent a couple of months in Vietnam. I asked him if he had any advice. Among his many tips the most adamant was go to Hoi Ann and buy a suit. His exact quote was " Dude, for two hundred bucks I got two made to measure Armani suits, eight shirts, and two ties, ya gotta go there!"

 In the brisk Toronto morning, I deeply lament my ability to ignore sage advice from those who have gone before, but we must live in the present and move forward, which brings me to the sad realisation that International Clothiers no longer inhabits the Eaton Centre.

Fortunately, thanks to The Siren, I had a look see at Moores online and knew that there was a location about four blocks away. I head out into the crispness and arrive with ears burning..

The staff is exemplary, and I am clear about my parameters. I am in and out with a nice suit in about twenty minutes, including measurements. An agreement is made that I will pick up the suit on Friday, the day prior to departure.

On Friday my phone rings. The voice on the other end is Carolina from Moores. It seems that their Master Tailor has noticed a hole in my suit during the course of his alterations and they don't have any replacements. At this point, I don't really have a choice.

I accept the suit as is, with a promise that the jacket is going to be replaced upon my return. Make no mistake, I only bought this suit for this trip, and its going to have a hole in it. So much for trying to appear dignified in front of my family. I only take this as further proof that The Big Electron (may peace be upon it) does not want me to wear a suit.

As for the good folks at Moore's, you were very kind and apologetic and I understand that this was a glitch, but you might want to check for holes before you put any product on display.

I am not going to sue, I'm going to do worse. I'm telling my Mom on you. I guess I'm just not suited for this.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com